Young Adults and Drug Addiction
Part of the challenges of young adulthood is the growth and changes in their responsibilities. Self-discovery is another aspect of this period, which can be difficult to come to terms with in some instances. Additionally, many young adults use this time to experiment with alcohol, drugs, and sexual practices. Unfortunately, these fast-changing transitions can put young adults on the path to alcohol and substance use addiction.
Other factors also contribute to the development of substance use issues, such as:
- Peer Pressure: Pressure by friends and social groups and the desire to fit in can normalize substance use.
- Academic Pressure: For students, the pressure associated with doing well in classes or meeting high-performance expectations in sports and extracurricular activities can lead to alcohol and drug use as coping mechanisms.
- Work Pressure: Young adults entering the workplace for the first time may struggle to fit in and find a career path that suits them. This added stress can drive them to seek relief by using alcohol or drugs.
- Parenthood: In cases where young adults find themselves having a child, it can create added pressure, stress, and anxiety. By turning to substance use, it can be an escape from reality for a short period.
Young Adult Alcohol and Drug Use Statistics
To understand the magnitude of this problem, consider some statistics. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) and results from the 2021 National Survey on Drug Use and Health:
- 16.6 million 18 to 25-year-olds reported they drank alcohol.
- 9.8 million young adults reported binge drinking.
- 2.4 million reported heavy alcohol use.
- 14.9 percent met the criteria for alcohol use disorder (AUD).
- 38 percent reported using illicit drugs in the past year.
- 8.1 million reported marijuana usage
- 1.2 million used cocaine.
- 1 million used heroin.
- Hallucinogen usage was highest in this age group.
- 1.2 million young adults used stimulants.
- 1 million misused prescription pain relievers.
Request a Confidential Callback
Challenges for Young Adults Finding Rehab
Young adults struggling with addiction often face several challenges when it comes to finding rehab. Some of the major obstacles they face include:
- Time Challenges: Many young adults are still in school or work. Balancing treatment with existing responsibilities can be extremely challenging. Going to rehab can require taking a break from school or work, which may be difficult to do.
- Cost of Rehab: Another significant barrier young adults face is the cost of rehab. Addiction treatment programs can be expensive, especially when they do not have insurance. However, there are always options to ensure young people get the treatment they need for a brighter tomorrow.
- Living Situations: Many young adults may have living situations where they are constantly exposed to drugs and alcohol or have no support system at home. Having an unstable environment can make it difficult to avoid relapses.
- Now Knowing How to Look for Rehab: Young adults with addiction often are unaware of all available resources available to them. They might struggle to locate suitable rehab facilities that provide treatment services for young adults.
- Societal Stigma: Another issue that occurs is the stigma young men face when dealing with addiction. Societal views of young men include being masculine, not showing weakness, and keeping one’s emotions in check. As a result, young men turn to drugs and alcohol to cope and are often afraid to seek help out of fear of judgment from their peers.
Young Adult Rehab Programs
At Renewal Health Group, we offer personalized young adult rehab programs. We want to help provide young adults the second chance they need to live a sober and productive life. Our goal is to help them see a brighter future, free from substances.
Our rehab for young adults includes the following programs:
- Detox: Detox is an essential part of a complete rehab treatment plan. It lays the foundation for recovery and provides medical supervision while going through substance withdrawal.
- Residential Treatment: For young adults without a support system at home or who have severe addiction, our residential treatment provides 24/7 care and a highly structured environment.
- PHP: Our Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) offers more flexibility than our residential treatment program while still providing a structured program and allowing people to return home in the evenings.
- IOP: Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs) are for young adults who no longer need constant monitoring but still need support and guidance. Sessions are held at various times during the week to provide flexibility with work and school schedules.
- Outpatient Services: Ongoing outpatient services, like therapy and counseling, help young adults maintain their sobriety.
- Aftercare: Aftercare planning is essential, as recovery is a life-long journey. Our aftercare options include access to all our different care levels and our alum program.
Contact Our Young Adult Rehab Center in Los Angeles, California
Take the first step towards a brighter future today. At Renewal Health Group, our compassionate and caring team provides access to personalized rehab for young adults with the guidance and support needed for lasting recovery. Contact us now to start your journey to reclaiming a fulfilling life today.